Planning a new fence is a rewarding process with simple guidelines. Before you contact a fence contractor, research possible fence cost. In Manassas, VA, prices will vary depending upon several factors:
- Materials make all the difference in your fence cost. These are common types of fence materials:
- Chain link fence
- Classic wood fence
- Vinyl (PVC) fence
- Composite materials
- Steel or aluminum ornamental fence
- Deck or railings
- Farm fence
- Ornamental fence
- Automated gate system
- Security fence
- The size and height of your fence will be the primary determinant in how much fence you need. That, combined with your fence material selection, will equal the biggest chunk of your fence cost.
- Calculate the number of line posts, corner posts, and gates needed. This will vary depending on the number of gates, the distance between posts, and the height of your fence. Post distances generally vary between 6 and 8 feet.
- You could tackle a fence installation yourself, but factor in the cost of specialized equipment and tools. Best to leave this high visibility project to a professional fence contractor.
There are some things you can do before you talk to a fence contractor to keep your costs down:
- Get an accurate site plan of your property
- Consider an aerial of the property from Google Earth for reference
- Clearly mark your property boundaries and any setbacks or local zoning requirements
- Determine where you want to place your fence line
- Make sure your fence meets all legal and HOA restrictions and regulations
- Do your homework. Research materials cost, benefits and drawbacks, and intangibles such as future maintenance and repair
- Draw and measure the perimeter of your fence
- Allow gates for access, both pedestrian and vehicular, depending upon your needs
- Using the total linear board feet of your fence perimeter minus the area needed for gates, find your sum total linear board feet and select your fencing material
- Do you need a lattice privacy topper, seal or paint, hardware and fasteners for gates, or post caps?
A caveat about fence cost: sometimes natural resources are exposed to price fluctuations due to global conditions, so be thorough and timely in your research. Chain link fence costs range from $6 to $40 a foot depending on the gauge and finish, but expect to pay in the lower end of the range in the Manassas, VA market. A classic Virginia wood fence will run somewhere between $10 and $20 per linear board foot. Vinyl and PVC around $17 to $20, while composite fence materials vary. The average cost ranges from $30 to $50 per foot for professional installations, and $20 to $40 per foot for materials alone. Ornamental wrought iron and steel round out the upper end with prices often custom quoted.
So, before you contact a fence contractor research your possible fence cost. In Manassas, VA, there are many options to suit every taste and budget. Doing your homework will no doubt result in the highest quality fence for your investment.